Friday, July 22, 2011

The 250th of a Second Coming

2008_040_21

Scanning and scanning in the widening gyre, the photographer cannot see the photograph.

I'm always amazed at how much farther away everything actually was. I'm always amazed that I can remember shooting almost every image on a roll of film that I shot months ago. Maybe the memory's wrong, but I still remember taking the picture. But I was standing so far away. How can that be? In my memory I all but smacked them with the camera as I raised it to my eye.

I like film because I have to wait to see the pictures. I always think they'll be better than they are. Something so disheartening about finding out how bad they are right away. Outside today, it's 104 degrees F. I don't think I'll go out shooting.

Scanning images is so tiresome - but when something works, so satisfying. But when it doesn't, so much effort wasted. Boring boring boring boring. People on cell phones. People walking with cell phones. People walking past giant blank walls. People walking and gesturing. People walking people walking and talking people walking. I really need to get out more often.

No comments: